The Maleny IDAHO group is establishing an Ally network to support young LGBTIQ people in our community, and we’re recruiting!
An Ally Network is a visible group of people in the community who assist LGBTIQ people and their families by:
- providing support to individuals through listening to their concerns
- offering guidance and information on LGBTIQ issues
- creating safe places
- promoting an LGBTIQ friendly culture
Allies can be anyone.
They are not experts and may or may not be from the LGBTIQ community.
Maleny Allies are champions of change and aim to:
- provide a confidential and safe environment for people to make inquiries about issues related to matters of sexual diversity and gender identity
- show leadership through being publicly supportive of sexual diversity
- identify themselves as Maleny Allies
- increase respect and inclusion of LGBTIQ people in the community
- proactively combat, wherever possible, homophobia and heterosexism wherever it arises.
If you would like to be part of this important support network for LGBTIQ youth and others in Maleny we want to hear from you now.
Training for potential Allies will take place on Saturday 24 June, 10:00am-2:00pm at the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre.
The well respected Pride in Diversity organisation (http://www.prideinclusionprograms.com.au) is conducting the training for us.
You can decide to sign on as an Ally after the training, so register your interest now by emailing me HERE or email me with any questions you may have.